Gloss Medium & Varnish improves adhesion and protects painting.
- Fluid Painting Medium
- Texture: Fluid
- Sheen: Gloss
- Relative Opacity: Transparent
- All purpose Liquitex medium, formulated to be mixed into all Liquitex acrylic paints and mediums.
- Mix into any acrylic paint to enhance the depth of color intensity, increase transparency, gloss, ease flow of paint and add flexibility and adhesion of paint film.
- Use as a non-removable varnish to protect painting and establish gloss sheen surface.
- Translucent when wet, transparent (clear) when dry.
- Dries to a non-tacky, hard, flexible surface that is resistant to dirt retention.
- Depending upon substrate, allows moisture to pass through (breathable).
- Will not crack as surface expands and contracts during temperature and humidity changes.
- Applicable for any surface (flexible and inflexible) including canvas, paper, wood, Plexiglas, etc.
- Not for use over oil paint.
APPLICATIONS AS A MEDIUM
As an Extender:
Mix with Liquitex Soft Body Artist Color to extend volume and increase transparency, while maintaining paint viscosity.
- Mix with Liquitex Heavy Body Artist Color to extend volume and increase transparency, while decreasing paint viscosity.
As a Fixative:
- Use as a fixative over artwork (acrylic paint, pastel, graphite, chalk) to increase gloss or shine. Mix 1 part Gloss Medium & Varnish to 1 part distilled water. Apply with atomizer or airbrush.
As a Binder / Adhesive:
- Powdered pigments or aggregates may be mixed into Liquitex Gloss Medium & Varnish, however they must be compatible with acrylics.
- Collage material may be glued using Liquitex Gloss Medium & Varnish as a liquid glue.
As a Ground:
- Use as transparent ground for acrylic paint instead of gesso to allow substrate to be seen. To prevent Substrate Induced Discoloration, wash cotton or linen canvas before use.
With Powdered Pigments:
- Use as a binder with powdered pigments to make an inexpensive student grade Soft Body gloss paint.
APPLICATION AS A VARNISH
- Gloss Varnish for flexible surfaces is recommended as the best varnish for acrylic paintings.
- Apply Gloss Medium and Varnish as a final permanent varnish over dry acrylic paint.
- Varnish surface and environment must be clean, dry and dust free.
- Acrylic paintings must be completely dried and cured for 48-72 hours before varnishing.
- Dilute Gloss Medium and Varnish up to 20% for better brushing and leveling.
- Application may be done by brush or spray. Generally a sprayed application will be thinner, smoother and more even. Rolling or sponging application is not recommended.
- Caution: Acrylic paints and mediums become increasingly brittle in cold weather. Do not apply below 60 degrees.