This collection is emptyView all products
What is acrylic pouring?It is a painting technique where liquid acrylic paints are mixed with pouring mediums and poured onto a surface. This is a method that uses gravity to pour paints without having to use tools such as brushes. It creates fantastic patterns that are achievable for both novices and professionals.
What is the best acrylic pouring medium?
Finding the best acrylic pouring medium comes down to your artistic style and preference. Each has its own unique properties that affect the final look of your work. You’ll want to experiment to find one that’s right for you. Consider factors such as drying time, transparency, and the desired finish when shopping. It’s always a good idea to first try out small batches of your paint before you start your artwork.
Different pouring techniques
There are several ways for you to use your acrylic pour paint. The two most common methods are a dirty pour and a clean pour, but each differs based on the method used.
Each technique shows off a unique feature. Pour techniques include:
- Dirty pour: This method uses layered paint in a single cup and then poured onto the canvas to create patterns.
- Clean pour: Colours are layered individually in the cup. This is then used to make clean bands of colour.
- Flip cup: Paint layers within a cup are flipped onto the canvas, and as the cup is gently lifted, the paint spreads and patterns form.
- Puddle Pour: This involves creating small puddles on the canvas and then titling to create and blend the colours from multiple focal points.
- Swipe Method: Lines or puddles of paint are placed on the canvas and a palette knife or spatula is used to swipe colours across the canvas.
What should I do if I encounter cracks or bubbles in my pour?
Note that cracks may occur if the paint layer is too thick. To avoid this you can use thinner layers or add more pouring medium. Always read the instructions on your paint bottle for help.
How long does it take for an acrylic pour to dry?
This will vary based on a few factors. The most important things to be aware of are; humidity, paint thickness, and your chosen pouring medium. It can take between 24-72 hours to completely dry your canvas. For accurate drying time, see your selected paint instructions for more details.
How to mix paints for acrylic pouringYou can mix acrylic paints with a pouring medium in a separate cup to achieve the desired consistency. It’s always good to experiment with ratios to experiment with patterns and methods of pouring.